Tuesday, October 1, 2013

General Chicken

The other night my husband and I decided we wanted Chinese food. There is not much to choose from so, we knew we had to make it ourselves. Then we decided we needed a cook off and our only judge was Abbey since Cole is our picky eater!! The day before Abbey and I were watching The Chew on TV and I saw this recipe so, I decided to try it. Mike made an orange chicken now the game was on to see who's chicken was the best..........

Ingredients
2 pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces)
2 Egg Whites 
6 tablespoons Corn Starch 
3 tablespoons plus 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil (separated) 
1/4 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce 
2 tablespoons Sambal 
2 tablespoons Honey 
2 tablespoons Orange Juice 
1 tablespoon Sesame Oil 
2 Garlic cloves (sliced) -  I just chopped it
2 tablespoons grated Ginger -- I just chopped this too

 Directions

  • In a large bowl, vigorously whisk together the egg whites and cornstarch. Toss the chicken in the mixture.
  • In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat the vegetable oil. Sauté the chicken pieces, about 3 to 4 minutes per side or until cooked through. Remove from pan and reserve.
  •   Meanwhile, stir together the soy sauce, sambal, honey, orange juice, and sesame oil in a small bowl or measuring cup. Wipe pan clean, add the additional 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Sauté the garlic and ginger for about a minute, until fragrant, and then add the soy sauce mixture. Once boiling, add the chicken and toss to coat. Check seasoning and serve. 
     
    * I did double the sauce except doubling the Sambol. It is rather spicy.
     
    **I BET YOU ARE WONDERING WHO ONE OUR COOK OFF..... Well, it was a dang tie!! not because Abbey couldn't choose but because my semi-spicy chicken and Mike's sweet orange chicken went perfect together!! I guess it still shows opposites attract :)

No comments:

Post a Comment