Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Tangy Beef Turnovers--Sometimes You Just Have To Try A Little Deceit

There is one ingredient in this recipe that is going to make you have second thoughts on trying it out.  And if your children find out about it--it's history.   Now I'm not stupid.  (Careful there.)  I raised 7 kids.  And I know that sometimes you have to be a little deceitful when preparing certain dishes so that family members don't know what ingredients you are using.  This was especially true when my kids were young, and I was cooking with wheat.  But, I digress.  This recipe does call for sauerkraut.  But you are going to rinse off all the sour part and wah-la, it is no longer sauerkraut.  Just cabbage.  And if you don't tell, neither will I.  This is one of my favorites.  (Just make it ahead of time when no one is home.)  (Terry)




TANGY BEEF TURNOVERS
1# ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 jar  (16 oz) sauerkraut, rinsed, drained, chopped
1 C (4oz) shredded Swiss cheese
3 tubes (8 oz each) refrigerated crescent rolls
In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.  Add sauerkraut and cheese; mix well.  Unroll crescent roll dough and separate into rectangles.  Place on greased baking sheets; pinch seams to seal.  Place ½ C (1/3 C) beef mixture in the center of each rectangle.  Bring corners to the center and pinch to seal.  Bake at 375 for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
Yield:  1 dozen


 

No comments:

Post a Comment