Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Honey Beet Salad

I know this is wintertime, but we are still enjoying produce that we harvested from our garden last summer:  carrots, onions, potatoes, beets.  A couple of weeks ago I used our "fresh" beets to make a couple of salads.  One was a familiar favorite, but the other was a new salad.  Today I will pass on the new recipe.  I will save the other recipe for another time.  For both recipes, I put the unpeeled fresh beets through my salad shooter.  Then I boiled the shredded beets in salted water.  (Save that beet water to make beet jelly.)  When they were done, I put them in the fridge to cool off.  (Terry)


HONEY BEET SALAD
Place the following in a bowl:
2 C cooked, shredded beets
1/4 C chopped onion--sweet or red
1/4 C chopped walnuts
Dressing
Whisk together:
3 TB balsamic vinegar
1 TB honey
1 1/2 tp red wine vinegar
1/4 tp black pepper
Pour over beets.  Salt to taste.  Sprinkle with 2 TB fresh chopped parsley and 1/3 C crumbled feta cheese or blue cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment