Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Popcorn Salad

   Awhile back I taught a short kitchen segment in Relief Society on making homemade mayonnaise.  I wanted something "to do" with the mayonnaise so the sisters could try it out.   That was when I thought of making Popcorn Salad--using the homemade mayonnaise.  I will tell you that I first mix up the salad using the amount of mayo the recipe calls for, but that is too dry for me.  So I add more mayo, probably ending up doubling the amount in the original recipe.
   I make a few other adjustments, mostly because I am lazy.  I usually use bottled, real bacon pieces.  I usually don't divide the cheese and bacon but just mix all of both ingredients right into the salad, rather than garnishing.  I do like to quarter the chestnut pieces. 
   Popcorn should be popped oil free.  1/2 C of kernels will be more than enough popcorn.  (Terry)


POPCORN SALAD
3/4 C mayonnaise  (I probably use 1 1/2 cups)
1 C diced celery
1 1/4 C shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 can (8 oz) sliced water chestnut, drained
3/4 C crumbled cooked bacon, divided
1/4 C shredded carrot
2 TB minced chives
6 C popped corn
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl except popcorn.  Just before serving, add in popcorn and any additional mayo.  If you are garnishing with reserved cheese and bacon pieces, do that now.  Can serve as it or over a thin layer of shredded lettuce.  Serves 10 to 12.












 














 







 









 











No comments:

Post a Comment