Saturday, February 23, 2013

Quick Stromboli and Mini Sausage Pizzas--It's What's For Lunch

I used to say, "I married you for rich or for poor, for better or worse, BUT NOT FOR LUNCH."  I don't mind fixing breakfast or preparing dinner, but lunch is not my favorite meal to serve.  I get tired of sandwiches--both the fixing and the eating.  For many years, I had 8 people taking sack lunches to school, including my husband.  But times have changed.  I make a lot more soups nowadays (not the canned variety), and I am always on the lookout for sandwich ideas.  I have found a couple of sandwiches that I really like.  One is an easy-to-put-together stromboli and the other is an open-faced sandwich which is good for breakfast or lunch.  (Terry)


QUICK STROMBOLI
Unroll 1 tube (11 oz) refrigerated Crusty French Loaf.  Sprinkle with two kinds of cheese.  ¾-1 C of each:  mozzarella, cheddar, monteray jack, Swiss, etc.  (4 oz = 1 C.  ¾ C really is sufficient.)  Top with two kinds of meat, 4 oz each:  ham, salami, etc.  Roll up.  Bake at 350 on an ungreased sheet for about 30 minutes.  If the crust is nice and golden, but the dough is not done, cover with a sheet of foil and continue cooking.
 
MINI SAUSAGE PIZZAS
1 pound bulk pork sausage
2 jars (5 oz each) sharp American cheese spread <glass jars for stuffing celery>
¼ C softened butter or marg.
1/8 to ¼ tp cayenne pepper
12 English muffins, split
Cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink.  Drain well.  In a small mixing bowl, beat the cheese, butter and cayenne.  Stir in the sausage.  Spread onto cut sides of muffins.
Wrap individually and freeze for up to 2 months.  Or place on a baking sheet and bake at 425 for 10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment